History of the house starts at the beginning of 17 th century but the oldest extant part of the hotel comes from 1699. (You can download the brochure at this link: Brief History of the hotel building) You can see here the Jewish ritual bath mikveh from 17th century which was used for the ritual purity by Orthodox Jews. More about the mikveh bellow in file to download.
A costly reconstruction was made with the assistance of the grants from European Union from November 2008 to June 2010. Hotel complex consists of seven houses. Each house has remained its original form and has a different roof, windows and front. The houses had been originated (shaped) in different centuries by additional buildings, house alteration or demolition. This is reason why each room or bathroom is different. The history of the hotel complex show ceramic finds which had been found mostly in the mikveh. More about these finds bellow in file to download.
Some parts of the complex can be called as “sparrow`s nest”. This is the reason for differences in the interiors of the rooms. The hotel offers **** service.
The hotel is located in the Jewish quarter of Třebíč which has belonged to UNESCO heritage since 2003 altogether with the Basilica of St Prokop..PhDr. Rudolf Fišer, CSc speaking about the history of the hotel with the owners of the hotel
spouses Josef and Jiřina Pošvař.
The historian PhDr. Rudolf Fišer, CSc., an expert in the history of Trebic, found out according to some documents and chronicles that the last Christian owner of the house was Urban Stehlík. The first Jewish owner, Enoch, bought the house for 100 florins in 1629 from the hands of the chateau hetman Simenon Zluticky, who had controlled the house after the death of Urban Stehlik . This means, that in 1629 this house (let us say its precursor) changed the Christian owners to Jewish.
We found out some useful information about the history of the hotel, especially about its owners, in Land Registry which was established in 1617. Jew Samuel Lewita was the owner of the house since 1660`s. “The Jew Hierschel Hesky bought the house as a ruin in 1699 for 200 florins and built on the place of the original house a new house.” So we can conclude that the oldest parts of the house complex originate from 1699. This fact is proved by evidence of the Land Registry photocopy from 1617.
Brochure about history of the hotel building (PDF, 4,5 MB)
Mikveh in Hotel Joseph (PDF, 938 KB)
Ceramic finds in Joseph1699 (PDF, 503 KB)